When You Are The Internal General Evaluator
- Review your Competent Leader manual to identify the project you are completing. This role can be evaluated in Project 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 or 10 of the Competent Leader manual so please let me know which project you wish to be evaluated against.
- The Toastmaster will review your performance and sign off your project, either in your manual or in the evaluation slip next to your name badge.
Items To Be Evaluated
As GE, you will be providing feedback on all of the following aspects:
- Reception & Sign-in
- The President’s introduction
- Toastmaster’s running of the meeting
- Guest Host (or person who introduces the guests)
- Timekeeper’s management
- Workshop Presenter (if any)
- Table Topics Master
- Table Topics Evaluator
- Three Prepared Speech Evaluators
- Linguist or Interviewer
- The club atmosphere
- Audience Participation
Before The Meeting Starts
- Arrive at 6:45AM!
- Review the agenda and familiarise yourself with the intended speakers and functionaries.
During the meeting
Observing the session
- Due to the tight time in which you need to deliver your general evaluation, use a basic and simple structure for your feedback.
- One suggestion is to make notes on individual cards as this will make it easier to focus on feedback
- Think about key learning points from the projects that you have undertaken so far and notice if the speaker does or does not do them i.e. such as speech organisation; right word selection; variety of pace and pitch of delivery; body language.
Presenting The Evaluations
- You have very little time to prepare between the Best Evaluator vote finishing and you getting up to speak. Anything that you can do to ensure that your notes are ready for using to speak from as you go is well worth it!
- You may have lots of ideas for feedback for each speaker, but if you try to include them all you’ll rush and/or run out of time
- It’s particularly important to present your feedback in the “third person” rather than addressing the individual directly. This way, everyone will benefit from the suggestions
- Remember you only have 7 minute to complete your entire evaluation, plan your time accordingly so that you don’t run out of time and end up leaving some roles out
After The Meeting
- Review your performance with the member signing off your Competent Leader project
- Bask in the glow of a job well done and enjoy breakfast!